|The neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved. (August 2009)|
The Throne of St. Thomas is the Apostolic tradition of the Christian church in India , believed to be established by St. Thomas at the same time as Saint Paul established the church in Corinth. It is currently held by six bishops from different denominations in India. They were all once part of the same Malankara Church. During the course of time some of them joined the Catholic Church (1599), the Patrarch of Antioch (1876) and C.M.S. Anglican Church (1878).
- 1 Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
- 2 Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
- 3 Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (Indian Orthodox Church)
- 4 Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church
- 5 Malabar Independent Syrian Church (Thozhiyoor Sabha)
- 6 St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 Notes / References
Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
|Part of a series on|
St. Thomas the Apostle
Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
The Syro-Malabar Catholic Church is an Eastern Catholic Church with Major Archiepiscopal Status. It is the largest among the Malankara Churches in terms of population.
- Mar Varkey Cardinal Vithayathil
Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
The Syro-Malankara Catholic Church is an Eastern Catholic Church with a Major Archiepiscopal Status. It was established when Mar Ivanios and seven laymen and a deacon left the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church and joined the Catholic Church in the 1930s.
- His Beatitude Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis
Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (Indian Orthodox Church)
The Orthodox Church upholds the Throne of Saint Thomas through the Catholicate of the East. The present Catholicos is the 111th Catholicos in the lineage of Apostle Thomas.
- His Holiness Baselios Mar Thoma Didymos I
Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church
Mar Thoma Church defines itself as, Apostolic in origin, Universal in nature, Biblical in faith, Evangelical in principle, Ecumenical in outlook, Oriental in worship, Democratic in function, and Episcopal in character. It is in communion with a number of member churches of World Council of Churches including the worldwide Anglican Communion.
Malabar Independent Syrian Church (Thozhiyoor Sabha)
The Malabar Independent Syrian Church (Thozhiyoor Church) is an autocephalous (independent) Oriental Orthodox in its theology, but not in communion with the Oriental Orthodox Church. This church is in communion with the Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church
- Most Rev Cyril Mar Basalius Metropolitan
- Headquarters: Thozhyoor, Kunnamkulam, Kerala, India.
St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India
St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India (STECI) is an Evangelical, Episcopal Church which firmly affirms that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant and infallible Word of God. All that is necessary for salvation and living in righteousness is given in the Bible. It further affirms that the Church has a responsibility to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all the nations of the world, especially to India.
- Bishop T C Cherian
- Headquarters: Tiruvalla, Kerala, India.
- List of Catholicos of the East
- Rev.C.P.Philipose, in Introduction to Concise History of Malankara Marthoma Church (1936) by T.C. Chacko, Page 12-13.