Agni Yoga is a Neo-Theosophical religious doctrine. The term Agni Yoga means "Mergence with Divine Fire" or "Path to Mergence with Divine Fire". The followers of Agni Yoga believe that the teaching was given to the Roerich family and their associates by Mahātmā Morya, the guru of the Roerichs and of Helena Blavatsky, one of the founders of the modern Theosophical movement and of the Theosophical Society.
Agni Yoga is a path of practice in daily life. It is the yoga of fiery energy, of consciousness, of responsible, directed thought. It teaches that the evolution of the planetary consciousness is a pressing necessity and that, through individual striving, it is an attainable aspiration for mankind.
Holy Scripture of Agni Yoga
The Teachings is a Scripture consisting of a series of books with a total volume of about 5000 pages.
- Leaves of Morya’s Garden Book One The Call, 1924
- Leaves of Morya’s Garden Book Two Illumination, 1925
- New Era Community, 1926
- Agni Yoga, 1929
- Infinity Part I, 1930
- Infinity Part II, 1930
- Hierarchy, 1931
- Heart, 1932
- Fiery World I, 1933
- Fiery World II, 1934
- Fiery World III, 1935
- Aum, 1936
- Brotherhood, 1937
- Supermundane, 1938
- Roerich, Helena (1929–1935). "Letters of Helena Roerich I". agniyoga.org. http://agniyoga.org/ay_en/Letters-of-Helena-Roerich-I.php.
- Roerich, Helena (1935–1939). "Letters of Helena Roerich II". agniyoga.org. http://agniyoga.org/ay_en/Letters-of-Helena-Roerich-II.php.
- Roerich, Helena. "Foundations of Buddhism". agniyoga.org. http://agniyoga.org/ay_en/Foundations-of-Buddhism.php.
- Roerich, Helena (1992). "On Eastern Crossroads Legends and Prophecies of Asia". Agni Yoga Society, New York. https://docviewer.yandex.ru/view/94772562/?.
- Roerich, Nicolas (2017). Realm of Light. New York: Nicholas Roerich Museum. http://www.roerich.org/roerich-writings-realm-of-light.php.
- Roerich, Nicolas (1990). Shambhala: In Search of the New Era. Rochester, VT, United States: Inner Traditions Bear and Company. ISBN 9780892813056. OCLC 21332745. https://www.bookdepository.com/Shambhala-Nicholas-Roerich/9780892813056?a_aid=LearnFromMasters#rating-distribution.
- Roerich, George (2012) (in Russian). On the paths of the Middle Asia. Moscow: International Center of the Roerichs. pp. 780. https://roerich-lib.ru/index.php/yu-n-rerikh/po-tropam-sredinnoj-azii.
- Roerich, Svetoslav (2004). Creative Thought / Articles by Svetoslav Roerich. Moscow: International Center of the Roerichs. pp. 780. ISBN 978-5-86988-132-8. http://knigisibro.ru/books/detail/31752.
- Skumin, V. A. (1997) (in Russian). The Teaching of Life: Reader. 1. Novocheboksarsk: Teros. ISBN 978-5-88167-009-2. https://biblmdkz.ru/1.html.
- Skumin, V. A. (1998) (in Russian). The Teaching of Life: Reader. Novocheboksarsk: Teros. ISBN 978-5-88167-019-1. https://biblmdkz.ru/2.html.
- Skumin, V. A. (1995) (in Russian). Legends, parables, and stories of Agni Yoga. Teros. ISBN 978-5-88167-008-5. https://biblmdkz.ru/legenda.html.
- Skumin, Victor. "Agni Yoga. Sunny Path". https://biblmdkz.ru/sun.html.
The first Russian translation of the Bhagavad Gita was published in 1788 on the orders of the empress Catherine the Great. Agni Yoga, said to mean "Mergence with Divine Fire", was created in exile in 1920 by the Russians Nicholas Roerich and Helena Roerich, influenced by the theosophist Helena Blavatsky.Their successors include Victor Skumin.
According to Helena Roerich, Agni Yoga is the synthesis of all yogas. In all the ancient Hindu scriptures, the approaching Fiery Age was predicted. Agni–Fire, which to a varying degree is at the heart of all yogas, will saturate the atmosphere of our planet, and all the branches of yoga will be merged into a fiery synthesis. Agni Yoga is a fire baptism.
The most significant features of Agni Yoga are cosmism and universalism. They are expressed in the interpretation of any phenomena of human existence from the point of view of their cosmic significance and interrelation with the being of the universe. Agni Yoga has an international following and has thousands of adherents. The ideas of the Agni Yoga have exerted an influence on other esoteric movements and philosophies, among them New Age and transhumanism.
Theosophy and Neo-Theosophy
The term Neo-Theosophy used by the followers of H. P. Blavatsky to denominate the system of theosophical ideas expounded following the death of M-me Blavatsky in 1891. Daryl S. Paulson associates "Neo-Theosophy" with Alice Bailey. She introduced the term New Age – Age of Aquarius. Some examples of Neo-Theosophists today include Benjamin Crème and Victor Skumin.
In 1990, Skumin, based on the theosophical concept of Spiritual evolution, proposed a classification of Homo spiritalis (Latin: "Spiritual man"), the sixth root race, consisting of eight sub-races (subspecies): HS-0 Anabiosis spiritalis, HS-1 Scientella spiritalis, HS-2 Aurora spiritalis, HS-3 Ascensus spiritalis, HS-4 Vocatus spiritalis, HS-5 Illuminatio spiritalis, НS-6 Creatio spiritalis, and HS-7 Servitus spiritalis. Spiritual evolution is the philosophical, theological, esoteric or spiritual idea that nature and human beings and human culture evolve either extending from an established cosmological pattern, or in accordance with certain pre-established potentials. The phrase "spiritual evolution" can occur in the context of "higher evolution", a term used to differentiate psychological, mental, or spiritual evolution from the "lower evolution" or biological evolution of physical form.
The Culture of Health is the basic science about Spiritual Humanity. It studies the perspectives of harmonious development of Spiritual man and Spiritual ethnos as a conscious creator of the State of Light into the territory of the Solar System
In 1903, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky published the first serious scientific work on space travel. His work was essentially unknown outside the Russian Empire, but inside the country it inspired further research, experimentation and the formation of the Society for Studies of Interplanetary Spaceflight. Tsiolkovsky wrote a book called "The Will of the Universe; Unknown Intelligent Forces" in which he propounded a philosophy of panpsychism. He believed humans would eventually colonize the Milky Way. His thought preceded the Space Age by several decades, and some of what he foresaw in his imagination has come into being since his death. Tsiolkovsky did not believe in traditional religious cosmology, but instead he believed in a cosmic being that governed humans.
The ideas of the Russian cosmists later were developed by those in the transhumanist movement and Roerichism. For example, Victor Skumin argues that the Culture of Health will play an important role in the creation of a human spiritual society into the Solar System.
Agni Yoga Society
The Agni Yoga Society was founded in 1920 by Helena and Nicholas Roerich. It is a non-profit educational institution incorporated in 1946 under the laws of the State of New York, and is supported entirely by voluntary contributions and membership dues. The organization was located in the building Master Apartments. The aims of the Society are embodied in the philosophy that gives it its name—Agni Yoga—as contained in the books of the Agni Yoga Series published by the Society. In them is found a synthesis of ancient Eastern beliefs and modern Western thought and a bridge between the spiritual and the scientific.
Unlike previous yogas, Agni Yoga is a path of practice in daily life. It is the yoga of fiery energy, of consciousness, of responsible, directed thought. It teaches that the evolution of the planetary consciousness is a pressing necessity and that, through individual striving, it is an attainable aspiration for mankind. Though not systematized in an ordinary sense, it is a teaching that helps the student to discover moral and spiritual guide-posts by which to learn to govern his or her life and thus contribute to the common good. For this reason Agni Yoga has been called a "Living Ethics". Speaking about the role of personality in the spiritual evolution of mankind, Helena Roerich wrote:
The greatest benefit that we can contribute consists in the broadening of consciousness, and the improvement and enrichment of our thinking, together with the purification of the heart, in order to strengthen our emanations; and by thus raising our vibrations, we restore the health of all that surrounds us. True, it is impossible to increase our store of psychic energy without the help of the Teacher; however if our hearts are open and purified, and if our organism permits it, the Teacher will not tarry in manifesting himself.
Culture of Health
In 1968, when Victor Skumin was still a medical student, he proposed the term ″culture of health″ (Russian: ″Культу́ра Здоро́вья″), which has become widespread. The main task of the culture of health is to do health programs that support a holistic approach to physical, mental and spiritual well-being.
The 'culture of health' means recognizing health’s central importance in life. Skumin referred to the works of Helena Blavatsky, Helena and Nicholas Roerich, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, and Alexander Chizhevsky In some of his publications, he argues that the culture of health will play an important role in the creation of a human spiritual society in the Solar System.
The doctrine of a culture of health, proposed by Skumin, the culture – spiritual, mental, and physical – determines the status of human health. And health – spiritual, mental, physical – is a prerequisite for achieving a higher level of culture.
- Lumou (S. Roerich)
- Fuyama (N. Roerich)
- Mahātmā Morya
- Tara Urusvati (H. Roerich)
- Udraia (G. Roerich)
- Sunny (V. Skumin)
- The Future and the New Era
- http://www.lebendige-ethik-schule.de/whatay.htm What is Agni Yoga?
- Theosophy Versus Neo-Theosophy: Margaret Thomas' Study of C. W. Leadbeater's and Annie Besant's Theosophical Teachings. http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/thomas/.
- Ostrovidova L.A. (2016). "Skumin's sutras of Agni Yoga. Russian-English parallel texts. Leaves of Morya's garden. Book One: The Call". To Health via Culture 25: 16–28. ISSN 0204-3440. https://biblmdkz.ru/articles/j25_3.html.
- Skumin, V. A. (1996). Spiritual man: The role of the Culture of spiritual health for approval of the new human race on the planet. biblmdkz.ru. ISBN 978-5-88167-012-2. https://biblmdkz.ru/hs.html.
- Art works by Russian cosmism painter XX – XXI ct. Catalogue of exhibition 2013. Roerich museum. 2013. https://www.webcitation.org/6qGPQz1bk?. Retrieved 19 October 2021.
- Art works by Russian cosmism painter XX – XXI ct.
- International Scientific and Public Conference "Cosmic World Outlook – New Mentality of the ХХI Century"
- http://www.agniyoga.ws/agni-yoga.html Agni Yoga (Sacred Heart Fire), The Great Synthesis
- "The Culture of Health". https://biblmdkz.ru/sl.html.
- "Culture of Health". Unsystem.edu. Archived from the original on 17 April 2016. https://www.webcitation.org/6gqHBno1M. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Yoga in Russia
- "PubMed: Skumin VA". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Skumin%20V.
- "Victor Skumin: Biography". To Health Via Culture 27: 2–17. 2018. ISSN 0204-3440. https://biblmdkz.ru/articles/j27_1.pdf. Retrieved 27 December 2021.
- Agni Yoga (religious doctrine) - psychology.wikia.org
- Skumin VA Agni Yoga as a method of rehabilitation of the human spirit - biblmdkz.ru